The All Wales Perinatal Survey began in 1993 as a continuous surveillance of perinatal and infant mortality in the Principality and is funded by the Welsh Government.
AWPS aims to improve the understanding of the ways in which the risk of death in late fetal life and infancy may be reduced by:
- collecting data on all babies who die in Wales from 20 weeks of pregnancy to 1 year of age;
- describing differences in death rates between different areas of Wales;
- describing unrecognised differences in the cause of death.
AWPS Management Group:
- Professor Sailesh Kotecha. Director of the AWPS, Head of Dept. of Child Health at Cardiff University
- Dr Nia John. Consultant Community Paediatrician
- Mrs Kim Rolfe. AWPS Data Manager
- Dr W John Watkins. Statistician
- Mrs Sarah Kotecha. Research Officer
- Mrs Emma Barton. AWPS Project Administrator